AN URBAN MAMA'S TAKE ON NURTURING HER FAMILY

Saturday, January 31

pizza recipe for Amy


Awesome Mama Amy T Sharp sent me this sweet message last night:

Can I have yr dough and sauce recipe? I want to make za this weekend and know yrs is the bomb!!!!! pretty please?
Of course doll, here you go:


1. Dump 2 packages of active dry yeast in a large bowl, add 2 teaspoons sugar and 1 1/2 cups of hot-ish water (the yeast package says 38 degrees celcius), I just let the water run until it's hot to the touch, but not scalding hot.

2. Give this mixture a quick mix with a wooden spoon, then set aside for 15-20 minutes

3. Once your kitchen reeks of yeast and the yeast looks all fluffy, like a dirty cloud, add 3 cups flour (I use pre sifted/unbleached) + salt to taste (I add about 3 tsp) + 2-3 tablespoons oil. I first mix it all up with a large wooden spoon, once it's almost ball like I rub my hands in some flour and start kneading the dough (about 5 minutes). If it's too sticky, just add some more flour as needed. Once it's a nice ish ball, yes, you'll feel some happy pride 'I made this'!, then cover your dough with a clean cloth, and set aside in a warm/quiet place, I normally put it in the oven. Then I leave it for about an hour, during which time I make the sauce.

4. Here is the exact way I made the sauce yesterday. In a large pot pour a generous amount of olive oil (2-4 tablespoons), chop 1 red onion, 1 white onion and 1 small shallot. Fry over medium heat, until all of it looks translucent, then add 4 large cloves of garlic (roughish chop/roughish mince), cook for a minute or two, then add a can of crushed tomatoes (796ml/28fl oz), plus salt to taste, plus about 2 tablespoons sugar. Simmer on low for 10-15 mins.

5. Now get toppings ready: Last night we went through a whole block, 300g, Monterey Jack which I hand grated; I ripped apart a whole small bottle of artichoke hearts; plus hand pitted about 1/3 cup black olives.

6. We only made 2 large pizzas (cheese only for kids, dressed for mama & papa), but this double dough mixture will easily yield 4 mediumish pizzas. So once you decide how to divide your dough, find a clean working surface and spread flour all over it. Then place your first ball of dough, roll it out with your rolling pin, making sure to flip it over a couple of times to get air bubbles out, then spread some oil all over your baking pan and dust it with flour or corn meal.

7. Add generous sauce + toppings + cheese. Bake in a pre heated 420 degree oven for 17-20 minutes, or until the cheese is on the verge of bubbling/browning.

8. Devour with your favourite beverages.


PS If you don't want to use all the dough at once, place the extra in a zip lock bag, make sure to press out all the air, and leave in the fridge for up to two days.

3 comments:

World Wide Alternative said...

Now I'm REALLY REALLY hungry!
Yum! XXxx

tara said...

Hi Canada. I miss Canada.
Anyway, I am totally going to try your dough recipe. My mister does not eat onions (can you imagine!!) or I would try the sauce too.

Lori said...

ah, that looks so good!! :^D) i haven't made homemade pizza in forever!