AN URBAN MAMA'S TAKE ON NURTURING HER FAMILY

Monday, June 29

trail mix marinade




At our house the issue isn't 'what's for dinner?' it's 'when is dinner?' - when is mom going to realize that it's almost 7pm and there is no hint of dinner in sight'. If a productivity coach/organization guru where to analyze me I'm pretty sure the analysis would be two fold: 'the mother is showing signs of fatigue i.e. she has yet to clean up the all-day-buffet bag; 'the mother enjoys/thrives on the challenge of making fast and delicious meals'.

Saturday night was like most other nights:

I knew we had tofu, broccoli, and garlic, I knew we had items to marinade with, I knew we were going to BBQ, but, I was feeling drained and wanted it all to magically appear; waved my wand and nothing happened. So I took a deep breath and broke down my dinner task into many mini tasks.

First I washed and trimmed the broccoli; then I sliced up tofu; then I peeled a whole head of garlic; then I decided on a tahini dressing, which turned into a 'trail mix marinade' (see recipe below); once the marinade was ready I poured it over the veggies and tofu and let them marinade for about 30 minutes. Then while waiting for the brown rice to cook the 'a ha' moment came to me: ask for help. So Village Papa bbq'd the bbqables, and we ate happily ever after...



TRAIL MIX MARINADE
Warning: I did not measure any of the ingredients, you will need to tweak to your desired consistency and to suit your palate.


2 generous/overflowing tablespoons of tahini
1/2 cup tamari*
1/3 cup water**
3 tablespoons olive oil
3-4 tablespoons of almond butter*** (ours is very runny)

- place all ingredients in a large bowl and stir by hand with a fork; or you can use any type of electrical appliance that blends

*no salt needed because tamari is very salty
** add more water as required
*** play around with different types of nuts butters and oils and enjoy!

No comments: