AN URBAN MAMA'S TAKE ON NURTURING HER FAMILY

Tuesday, May 18

Oh-how-we-adore-buttermilk Pancakes!

I always triple this recipe, that way we get one huge Sunday morning breakfast, then the next day the kids can have pancakes for dinner, and then again for breakfast the following day!

1 cup of unbleached all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tablespoon sugar
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk
2 generous tablespoons butter
splash of maple syrup
splash of pure vanilla extract

Add 2 tablespoons of butter to a non stick frying pan, and melt butter on low, set aside to cool.

In a large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt and sugar together.

In a separate bowl whisk egg, then add buttermilk, and a splash of vanilla and a splash of maple syrup. Mix well. Add butter. Mix well.
Add the wet to the dry. Mix well.

Pour batter onto your non stick. Sometimes I use a ladle, other times I use a large spoon, other times I pour freehand (depending on how large the kids like the pancakes).

If you have a waffle maker, this same recipe is great for waffles.

Enjoy! xoxo

2 comments:

Lori said...

i recently had a conversation with someone about "pancake mix". as in, WHY?!?!??! ;^)

this is how rural we are .. we make *sour milk* pancakes. :D

xoxoxoxo

village mama said...

Your comment is timely, as I'm cooking our pancakes now. I'm generally a very open minded person, but, I do not understand 'pancake mix. I think the juxtaposition of beautiful fluffy pancake from a very symmetrical box doesn't fit into my sphere of understanding...luckily there are many like you and I who will always be there to champion good ol' fashioned from-scratch batter ;=_