AN URBAN MAMA'S TAKE ON NURTURING HER FAMILY

Wednesday, January 24

Cuban Inspired Black Turtle Beans





Logo and photo credit: OYE! Tours


There is nothing as delicious as eating Cuban black beans in Cuba, made by a Cuban. The next best thing is to deconstruct a Cuban's method (recipe is the wrong word, since every single time there's a bit more of this, little less of that, depends what's on hand). So following is what I got via email today from my sister, the founder/director of OYE! Tours, who is currently in Cuba leading some tours.

For exciting past tour stories and photos check out her blog 'Cycle Across Cuba'.

Thanks for sharing hermana! xoxo


Cuban Inspired Black Turtle Beans
NOTE: This recipe is for a regular cooking pot, if you have a pressure
cooker, you can cook the beans faster.

2 cups of black turtle beans
5 cups of water
1 medium onion, chopped
1 small green pepper or half a large green pepper, chopped
6 to 10 cloves of garlic (this is your preference), pressed
1 tsn of cumin
2 or 3 sprigs of cilantro, finely chopped
Salt and pepper to taste

Wash the beans and soak them in the water for at least 2 hours. (Preferably overnight if you are not using a pressure cooker)

Pour the beans and water into large cooking pot and cook on high for at least 30
minutes. You may need to add water as it evaporates.

Keep an eye on the beans and once they are tender, turn off the stove.

In a frying pan sautee the onion, green pepper and garlic until the onions are golden. Add this
mixture to the cooked beans and water and let the mixture simmer.

Add cumin, salt and pepper.

Finally add cilantro.

Let beans cook for another 20 minutes so that they can soak up the spices. You can add more water if you like a more 'soupy' mixture, if you do, remember to taste to see if you need more
salt.

Serve with rice or eat alone.

This easy-to-make protein packed dish will become one your household favourite. HINT: If you are pressed for time, canned beans will also work...you compromise a bit of the taste but you can
'cover' up with extra garlic.
Recipe credit: www.oyetours.ca



PS starting today I'm taking a blog break. Gotta get cracking on some creative projects. I'll be back late February. Until then, to steal a quote from Paula Deen, I wish you 'happy dishes'!!

5 comments:

Jamie said...

Cool. I just got a bag of beans out today so I could make some of this. My recipe is really similar, but I add tomatoe juice along with all the other spices. We eat it with rice mixed with lime zest, sugar, and cilantro. Awesome stuff. Do you really think that you can stay away until late February?! What will I read? I think that's good though. Sometimes the internet really sucks me in.

urban vegan said...

ay, ay, ay---sounds delish.

Anonymous said...

your sister is the OYE tours lady! How cool....I bought a used wet suit off her a few months ago. Man, it's a small small world!

I get your sisters newsletter and they make me want to jump out from behind my desk and join her!

bazu said...

Sounds so good.
Good luck with your time off! I look forward to seeing your blog when you're back on.

Dori said...

Hope you are enjoying your blogging break, black beans are one of my favorites. Looking forward to your return at the end of the month.