AN URBAN MAMA'S TAKE ON NURTURING HER FAMILY

Saturday, August 5

Crickets

Two nights ago I woke up to wee, and heard the beautiful chirp of a cricket through the bathroom window. Reminded me of our month long travels through Guatemala in '99. Every night on the way home to our posada in Antigua we were serenaded by orchestras of crickets lounging in window ledges.

That was such an emotionally draining trip. We'd volunteered to do photographic and editorial reporting for Plan International and UNICEF. I'd never seen toddlers sleeping on the street, and barefoot four-year olds running after us trying to sell us street food and souvenirs.

Despite the temporary hardships I'd do it again. Polaroid generously donated a camera and film to us, and giving kids pictures of themselves was so fun. Their gleeful giggles upon seeing themselves, their friends and family on film was priceless. For pics visit:
http://www.gahan.ws/htm/portfolio/stills/guatemala.htm

1 comment:

urban vegan said...

I love the sound of cricket, too, but living in the middle of the city, I very rarely hear them :(