AN URBAN MAMA'S TAKE ON NURTURING HER FAMILY

Wednesday, April 30

Top 5



A few weeks ago my sister called to ask what she could do with a bunch of green peppers, without having to 'stuff and freeze' them. I suggested she slice them up any which way she liked and fry them up with an onion and some garlic, then puree them and use the concoction as a sandwich spread. She ended up julienning them all, and eating the peppers as a raw snack.

I love kitchen conundrums.

Another thing I love is overcoming my temptation to dial 416-439-0000, and order a party size pizza - easy on the cheese, fresh garlic on one side. Last night was one of those 'what do I serve the kids tonight', because it seemed our cupboards were bare, and most importantly I was feeling quite lazy after a long day of park and backyard play.

Luckily, the frugal angels and the rat that sit on my right shoulder veered me away from the phone and through the supplies. Dinner was simple, but when it was over I was glowing knowing we were $25 richer.

The Menu:

Appetizers
2 peeled and sliced apples
2 peeled and julienned carrots
hummus
corn chips

Main
Annie's Bunny Pasta


Dessert
N-O-N-E, because village son did not eat his pasta; village daughter didn't care because she loves food and simply dug into her brother's untouched pasta

Village Papa made himself a gorgeous steamed salad of kale & broccoli & eggs drizzled in a cocktail of healthy oils (pumpkin, hemp, olive) + lots of fresh-pressed garlic. I ate three day old leftover mush: red quinoa, tofu, mushrooms, swiss chard, and the hummus I scraped off the kids plates.


Thank you to these top 5 that always seem to populate our cupboards/produce crisper:

apples
carrots
quinoa
hummus
pasta


What are your top 5?

4 comments:

amy turn sharp said...

love yr posts like this!
we always have homemade naan, chickpeas, peanut butter, cheeses, and broccoli
I need yr cookbook!

village mama said...

Amy/aka Wonder Ma, you will be one of the first to have the book, promise. XO ps when ya postin' your homemade naan recipe?!!

Jamie said...

hmmm. I guess our top 5 would be:
cheese
yogurt
bread
bananas
carrots

village mama said...

what kind of cheese Jamie?